.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fruit Blog Header.jpg
APPLES - BRAMBLES - CITRUS - GRAPES - NUTS - PAWPAWS - PEARS - PERSIMMONS - STONE FRUITS - STRAWBERRIES - FORUM

Cherimoya
My cherimoya, shortly before it became smoothie fodder.

Archive of past images




AppleBorovinka


Chinquapin

Recent Cultivar Releases
Pomegranate

Current Work in Pomology

StrawbParkerEarle


QuinceBourgeat


Atom Feed

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

April 11, 2008

Heirloom Apples Article

It always does my heart good to see fruit articles in the popular press:

Beyond the McIntosh (The Atlantic Monthly)

The story made me anxious to try a 'Black Oxford'. Actually, it made me anxious to actually own property again so that I can actually plant some trees.

While I think restricting yourself to cultivars discovered only in Maine seems overly restrictive to me, there's a lot to be said for local varieties. Particularly when dealing with varieties that were discovered as chance seedlings--if they didn't thrive in their original location, they'd have never been named.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 9/28/2016 02:48:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The God loves righteous and faithful , i wish you become one of them , best wishes to be guided to the truth
Jobs
nasihnetwork
free ads

 

Post a Comment

<< Home