.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fruit Blog Header.jpg
APPLES - BRAMBLES - CITRUS - GRAPES - NUTS - PAWPAWS - PEARS - PERSIMMONS - STONE FRUITS - STRAWBERRIES - FORUM

Cherimoya
My cherimoya, shortly before it became smoothie fodder.

Archive of past images




AppleBorovinka


Chinquapin

Recent Cultivar Releases
Pomegranate

Current Work in Pomology

StrawbParkerEarle


QuinceBourgeat


Atom Feed

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

April 10, 2008

'Galletta' Strawberry

North Carolina State University has released a new plasticulture strawberry, 'Galletta'. I swear this thing was released months ago, but I just stumbled across this thing, and since I haven't been posting I might as well go along with the idea that it's new. For those of you keeping close track of such things, I apologize if I'm horribly behind the times.

NCSU has a fairly long history of strawberry breeding, but I haven't heard too much about the varieties in recent years. Their releases have been a mix of varieties for plasticulture and those for the older matted row system. I remember when the earlier plasticulture variety, 'Bish', was released, but I haven't seen too much of it since.

North Carolina has a decent-sized strawberry industry, but most of it is for local consumption. Despite a number of local varieties, the bulk of the industry seems to focus on California and Florida varieties.

'Galletta', as the story explains, is named for Gene Galletta, who worked as a small fruit breeder at both NC State and the USDA. He died in 2002.

Anyhow, without further ado:

North Carolina Releases New Strawberry Variety (Southeast Farm Press)

Labels: , ,