.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fruit Blog Header.jpg
APPLES - BRAMBLES - CITRUS - GRAPES - NUTS - PAWPAWS - PEARS - PERSIMMONS - STONE FRUITS - STRAWBERRIES - FORUM

Cherimoya
My cherimoya, shortly before it became smoothie fodder.

Archive of past images




AppleBorovinka


Chinquapin

Recent Cultivar Releases
Pomegranate

Current Work in Pomology

StrawbParkerEarle


QuinceBourgeat


Atom Feed

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

April 7, 2008

MN447 = 'Frostbite'

Remember the contest to name the University of Minnesota's MN447 that I would have told you about had I been posting anything over the last year? Anyway, turns out they have a winner--'Frostbite'. Pretty decent name, really.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 4/07/2008 04:30:00 AM, Blogger Megan Lynch said...

Welcome back! I was going to nominate your blog for a Mouse & Trowel award except you've been gone so long!

Frost Bite is a nice name, actually. I never got around to sending my nominations in but I'm sure they wouldn't have been picked as my odd sense of humor isn't funny to marketing guys.

 
At 4/09/2008 02:39:00 AM, Blogger Evil Fruit Lord said...

Hi! Thanks for the welcome, and the almost-nomination!

I think 'Frostbite' is pretty good, too. I wonder if they did involve the marketing guys or if Jim Luby just picked one he liked in the end?

The article doesn't make it sound like a great apple--not many people like the flavor and it's unattractive?

 
At 4/19/2008 01:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'The article doesn't make it sound like a great apple'

It sucks. But W.H. Alderman and A. N, Wilcox used it to produce Keepsake and then Honeycrisp - with an assist from C. Stushnoff.

 
At 4/19/2008 11:18:00 AM, Blogger Evil Fruit Lord said...

Then why did they name it? It certainly doesn't need to be named just because it proved a good parent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home