.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fruit Blog Header.jpg
APPLES - BRAMBLES - CITRUS - GRAPES - NUTS - PAWPAWS - PEARS - PERSIMMONS - STONE FRUITS - STRAWBERRIES - FORUM

Cherimoya
My cherimoya, shortly before it became smoothie fodder.

Archive of past images




AppleBorovinka


Chinquapin

Recent Cultivar Releases
Pomegranate

Current Work in Pomology

StrawbParkerEarle


QuinceBourgeat


Atom Feed

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

November 5, 2007

I'm back!

Actually, I haven't gone anywhere. I just got busy. Or lazy. No, busy. Busy definitely sounds better.

Now I'm half a year plus into my new job, settling in and enjoying California. I've always been pleased with the pomological offerings of everywhere I've lived, from New York, to Arkansas, to Florida, but it's hard to imagine a better place for temperate fruits than the Central Coast of California.

Anyway, I was guilted (not intentionally, I don't think) into returning by Luigi, over at the Agricultural Biodiversity Weblog, an interesting site I really should keep up with more often. In addition to his recent post citing my post (which I will refrain from linking to for fear that we all would be caught up in a horrifying infinite loop), a few stories back is a link to a baffling an upsetting and baffling story from India:

Indian Genebank Doomed(?)

Apparently the local government is going to bulldoze the thousands of genotypes of litchis and mangoes to build bungalows for MPs.

This kind of short-sighted idiocy is nothing new, although this instance is particularly brazen. Fruit cultivars, once gone, are gone forever. Practically speaking, there is no way to recreate a fruit cultivar. You might come close, but generally it'd take a lot of breeding and expense, and you'll never be able to recreate any unique alleles that died with the original. Biotech can do many impressive things, but we are a long, long, long way from "building" a particular cultivar.

Anyway, I'm sure it's utterly futile, but for all my many readers with connections among the Indian powers that be, please lean on these people and make them realize just how horrible an idea this is.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 11/06/2007 09:21:00 AM, Blogger Luigi said...

Welcome back! You've been sorely missed. And thanks for adding your weight to the Indian fruit genebank saga.

Luigi at http://agro.biodiver.se

 
At 12/01/2007 01:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Fruit Blog!
Your Natural Remeides

 
At 12/04/2007 01:56:00 AM, Blogger Correy said...

If worst comes to worst is it possible to go in there before it gets bulldozed and preserve some of their better cultivars?

 
At 12/08/2007 06:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus, I thought that the employment vortex sucked you in for good. I hope all is well, drop me a note sometime. Lots of data on the CO work- paper done someday soon.

I was just reading proposals for grapes and thought of the Fruit Blog...

kf

 
At 10/10/2008 07:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! You've been sorely missed. And thanks for adding your weight to the fruit

 
At 8/07/2017 11:42:00 PM, Blogger 1111141414 said...

adidas stan smith
timberland shoes
chrome hearts
adidas neo
huarache shoes
nike air max 2018
nike air max95
kobe shoes
kobe bryant shoes
links of london

 

Post a Comment

<< Home