.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fruit Blog Header.jpg
APPLES - BRAMBLES - CITRUS - GRAPES - NUTS - PAWPAWS - PEARS - PERSIMMONS - STONE FRUITS - STRAWBERRIES - FORUM

Cherimoya
My cherimoya, shortly before it became smoothie fodder.

Archive of past images




AppleBorovinka


Chinquapin

Recent Cultivar Releases
Pomegranate

Current Work in Pomology

StrawbParkerEarle


QuinceBourgeat


Atom Feed

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

August 22, 2009

Smoothie Quest

As much as I like to occasionally gripe about the selection of fruit in grocery stores, I have to say the number of interesting fruits in them has certainly improved in the last decade. My three year-old and I decided at dinner we were going to make smoothies tonight. We already had blueberries at home, and I had half a flat of strawberries from work in the car (I was planning an informal tasting of the five leading selections, which was cut short when one of my daughters wolfed down one clamshell's worth in a matter of seconds). So we headed to the store and went fruit shopping.

She made her old dad proud, choosing a really eclectic mix of fruits, each of which I sampled before dropping them into the mix:

Cherimoya:
Cherimoya Cherimoya


Wow...I'd forgotten how much I liked cherimoya. The aroma is wonderful. And it worked really well in a smoothie. The only downside was digging out all those seeds (which are hopefully working on germinating right now...)

Honeydew Nectarine:
Honeydew nectarine


I had never heard of this before...and I really wasn't missing much. It tasted like a blend of really bland nectarine and underripe melon. It might not have been fully ripe, but the texture suggests it was close. Still, a pale yellow nectarine is interesting. (My picture is kind of washed out...oh well.

Golden Kiwi:
Gold Kiwi Gold Kiwi


I've been seeing these for a while, but this is actually the first time I've bought one. Interesting that the shape and skin are so distinctive--if I had to guess, this is Actinidia chinensis, not the usual Actinidia deliciosa. It was pretty good, but nothing spectacular. It was a tad past its peak, I think, but it went into the mix just fine.

Manzano Bananas:
Manzano Bananas


I really like these things. I probably should have waited for them to darken more (it does improve the flavor), but they're really good even at this stage. I ate one while I worked and gave the other to my daughter, so none made it in the smoothie (we bought some standard bananas too, which served just fine).

We also got blackberries (which my daughter had nearly reduced to smoothies already by the time we got them back to the car--she was enjoying shaking the bag vigorously), a nectarine, more standard versions of kiwi and banana, and an apple.

The smoothies were good and we got to discuss lots of different fruit species. How many three year olds do you know who can tell you all about cherimoyas?

(I didn't really have a point to this post, other than just basking in all the fruit I just bought).

Labels: , , , , , , ,

18 Comments:

At 8/24/2009 08:24:00 AM, Blogger Brandon Hurr said...

That sounds like a very good smoothie to me. I especially like the addition of the cherimoya. That fruit is amazing. Apple, pineapple, banana flavors with a slightly mealy pudding texture. I wish I could get those over here more.

 
At 9/09/2009 03:42:00 AM, Anonymous Tom Bicknell said...

Your guess was correct - that Zespri Gold kiwifruit is known as Hort16a in the biz, and it is indeed Actinidia chinensis.

The Zespri one is the most well-known gold variety, but a couple of other varieties from the same breeding programme have hit the market, as well as a bunch in China whose origins I'm not sure of.

I just found your blog today, and it's very interesting to read your perspective as a breeder (I picked out your job correctly, didn't I?). I'm a fruit journalist. Yes, I have the same trouble as you telling people what I do.

I upload the odd work photo to my Flickr account that you might be interested in:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13946697@N03/sets/72157608846746714/

Cheers,
Tom

 
At 11/10/2011 04:28:00 AM, Anonymous yatesspain.blogspot.com said...

It can't succeed in fact, that's what I believe.

 
At 1/29/2016 01:50:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like this a lot. Thank you for sharing. I'm always looking for upcycles like this. In the end, you don't know it was a shipping pallet to begin with!
ICC T20 World Cup 2016 Live Streaming
Starsports india vs Australia live streaming
IPL Schedule 2016

 
At 2/19/2016 05:03:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

this blog is really helpful. i found very interesting things here.
fan movie 1st day EXPECTED box office collection
fan movie friday box office collection predictions
fan movie first day box office collection
ind vs pak match ticket booking online ww.bookmyshow.com
happy mothers day quotes 2016

 
At 2/20/2016 06:35:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is great do you have a catologue if so I would love one to share with friends and family
rio olympics 2016 live
uefa euro 2016 live streaming
copa america centenario 2016 live

 
At 3/05/2016 02:28:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

easter bunnies images

Easter bunny images

Mothers Day wishes

Mothers Day quotes

Mothers Day wallpapers

 
At 4/13/2016 06:39:00 PM, Blogger Mother's Day said...

I Miss You Mom Sad Sayings 2016

 
At 4/15/2016 02:09:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Superb post! Keep updating Mothers Day Gift Ideas

 
At 4/15/2016 07:15:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Check out funny mothers day quotes for cool mpothers day quotes

 
At 5/01/2016 05:09:00 PM, Blogger Mother's Day said...

mothers day quotes
mothers day images
mothers day messages
mothers day pictures
mothers day wishes
i love you mom
love u mom
i love u mom
i love mom
love you mom

 
At 9/16/2016 02:10:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Checkout my blog Happy Valentines Day 2017 to get the latest valentines day wallpapers messages images and quotes. enjoy the special day with your lover.

 
At 12/15/2016 04:42:00 AM, Blogger wishing said...

christmas party hd pics christmas craft ideas 2016 new year hd calendar christmas day clip art 2016 best merry christmas pictures 2016, best merry christmas pictures for facebook, best christmas pictures for whatsapp for you to enjoy on the occasion.

 
At 12/15/2016 04:43:00 AM, Blogger wishing said...

January 2017 Calendar Many people wish the peoples by the food , many peoples cook the food and invite the people to their house

 
At 4/05/2019 12:46:00 AM, Blogger Nino Nurmadi said...

Komponen HP
Cara Menghidupkan HP Mati Total Baterai Tanam
Macam Macam IC
Cara Memperbaiki LCD
Lembaga Kursus Terbaik Indonesia
Kursus Indonesia
Kursus Indonesia
Kursus Indonesia
Cara Menghidupkan HP Mati Total
Youtube

 
At 6/05/2019 07:11:00 AM, Blogger aryanoone said...

Thanks for sharing such a nice Blog.I like it.
www mcafee com activate
activate norton with product key
activate norton with product key
download mcafee with product key
comcast email support phone number
avg antivirus tech support phone number
webroot antivirus support phone number
kaspersky support phone number
Outlook helpline number
Microsoft Edge Phone number

 
At 2/06/2020 03:41:00 AM, Blogger greengrass said...

Its very good blog.Thanks for sharing such great information for me. I hope you will share some more information about Please keep sharing!

افضل عشب صناعي

 
At 6/22/2020 02:07:00 AM, Anonymous Aiden Jangra said...

If nothing helps you resolve the issue, don’t worry. You can contact the HP customer support number who are available 24x7 to help solve your problems remotely. I feel happy about and learning more about this topic. keep sharing your information regularly for my future reference. This content creates a new hope and inspiration with in me. Thanks for sharing blog like this.


 

Post a Comment

<< Home