.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fruit Blog Header.jpg
APPLES - BRAMBLES - CITRUS - GRAPES - NUTS - PAWPAWS - PEARS - PERSIMMONS - STONE FRUITS - STRAWBERRIES - FORUM

Cherimoya
My cherimoya, shortly before it became smoothie fodder.

Archive of past images




AppleBorovinka


Chinquapin

Recent Cultivar Releases
Pomegranate

Current Work in Pomology

StrawbParkerEarle


QuinceBourgeat


Atom Feed

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

February 22, 2009

How do I get in on this racket?

Apparently a Japanese grower is raking in big bucks for gigantic strawberries:

Berries, $841 apiece (Rockhampton Morning Bulletin)

Now, granted, it's 841 Australian dollars...that's only US$540. But still...

80 grams seems like a big strawberry, but I've seen several selections that averaged close to fifty, so I don't think it would be hard to get a variety with primary fruits of 80 grams, and at $841 apiece, one could afford to harvest the primaries and pitch the rest.

The statement about fructose is, in my opinion, off base, though. Although there is a relationship between size and sweetness, it's not a terribly strong one. Plus, fructose is not the only sugar in strawberries--in fact sucrose generally accounts for around half of the sugars, and glucose is important as well.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 2/23/2009 03:44:00 PM, Blogger Brandon Hurr said...

The comment about fructose is a bit weird I will agree. It's kind of always been accepted that the larger berries (all kinds of berries) are generally less sweet than their smaller siblings, despite there being little evidence to back that up. Perhaps the writer was just forwarding this stereotype or was listing it as a reason that this particular cultivar had less overall sweetnees. Perhaps, by fructose, they were implying "sugars" in general and just screwed it up.

A nearly 100 g primary berry is pretty impressive though.

 
At 3/10/2009 04:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came across your site this morning and wanted to say it is a very enjoyable read. Let me know if you would like to trade links as I run a smoothie website. Keep up the good work

 
At 4/06/2009 06:19:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hello,

My Name is Sharon. Your blog is good online source for fruit lovers. As I am also into food research. Its a good blog with lots of information. Keep the good work on.

I will definatly bookmark your blog for my research work. You may also kindly visit my web site blog related to food and drinks industry that is
http://foodmarketnews.blogspot.com
and I would appreciate if you could kindly have a look at my blog too. It's updated on a daily basis.

Thanks & Regards,
Sharon

 
At 5/07/2009 03:02:00 PM, Anonymous Ares said...

That is good money for berries...Maybe I should try my hand at strawberries! Thanks for the post, I had no idea people were making such good money for huge fruit. Why would they be in such high demand?

 
At 8/08/2009 06:05:00 AM, Blogger Kevin M. Folta said...

I know what I'm doing when go in today... I wonder if it is 100% and glows green under UV...? I think they'd dig it.

There are people there that pay thousands for a good fish too, or massaged beef.

Some Japanese are just crazy about their food I guess.

 
At 10/09/2015 03:24:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

2015-10-09 zhengjx
Ralph Lauren UK Sale Polo Shirts
ugg boots
Up To 70% Off Air Retro Jordan 8s
coach factory outlet
Cheap Toms Shoes Outlet Sale Clearance
Louis Vuitton Handbags Factory Outlet
Michael Kors Outlet USA Store
Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet Online
Air Jordan 4 Retro Free Shipping
coach outlet online
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton
Official Cheap Michael Kors Handbags Outlet
New Jordans Cheap For Sale
ralph lauren uk
tory burch outlet
ugg boots
ray-ban sunglasses
Michael Kors Outlet Stores Online
ugg boots
louis vuitton outlet
ugg boots
louis vuitton outlet
canada goose jackets
michael kors outlet
cheap uggs sale
toms shoes
canada goose jackets
uggs outlet
michael kors outlet

 
At 6/08/2018 10:47:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0609
malone souliers
canada goose outlet
michael kors outlet
armani exchange
christian louboutin outlet
canada goose jackets
coach factory outlet
kate spade outlet
nike shoes
polo ralph lauren

 
At 5/21/2019 11:19:00 PM, Blogger yanmaneee said...

cheap jordans
adidas gazelle
supreme
balenciaga shoes
nike air max 270
kyrie shoes
air max 270
adidas nmd r1
longchamp handbags
nike cortez men

 

Post a Comment

<< Home