.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fruit Blog Header.jpg
APPLES - BRAMBLES - CITRUS - GRAPES - NUTS - PAWPAWS - PEARS - PERSIMMONS - STONE FRUITS - STRAWBERRIES - FORUM

Cherimoya
My cherimoya, shortly before it became smoothie fodder.

Archive of past images




AppleBorovinka


Chinquapin

Recent Cultivar Releases
Pomegranate

Current Work in Pomology

StrawbParkerEarle


QuinceBourgeat


Atom Feed

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

May 4, 2008

Holy vesca, Batman!

I just stumbled across a site that offers seeds of a stunning range of Fragaria vesca (a diploid species of strawberry) varieties. I have never seen so many available in one place...it's hard enough to find at all.

Alpine Strawberries

They also have a blog, which is entirely useless and empty, but I'll link to it anyway:

Alpine Strawberries Blog

I am so going to order about a zillion varieties of these. I have 'Mignonette' germinating on a window sill right now (the first cotyledons popped up a few days ago!) and I used to have 'Alexandria' and 'Yellow Wonder' at home and Hawaii-4 in the lab, but none of these made the cross-country trip (some of them didn't even live that long...turns out vesca isn't happy outside under the Florida sun.)

For completists bent on getting their hands on every last vesca variety, you might also try 'Intensity' from Oikos Tree Crops.

Of course, you could also turn to the USDA repository in Corvallis, but try not to use that when you can buy them commercially...

Update: Strangely, the best page on the whole site, the one I stumbled onto via Google, doesn't seem to be linked to from anywhere inside, or if it is, I can't seem to find it (and the site map link is broken). So to make sure you don't miss it, here it is.

Update 2:A friend just wrote to me to warn me that his browser is giving him a "phishing" warning when he goes to the alpine strawberry site. Although I've corresponded with the proprietor and feel fairly safe that this site and the PayPal links within it are legit, I have not yet done business with them, so I can't truly vouch for it. I think it's probably fine, but I wanted to pass the info along.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 5/05/2008 07:34:00 AM, Blogger Chef JP said...

First visit to your blog--- I enjoyed your writing a great deal. Thanks!

 
At 5/06/2008 11:05:00 PM, Blogger alpine strawberries said...

this is the owner of the site you referred to. The links have been fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience. I wish I had a webmaster to blame it on .... I'm sorry that my blog never left the ground. Just not enough hours in the day.

 
At 5/07/2008 04:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

COOL blog! very neat concept! i'll be sure to keep coming back!

 
At 5/14/2008 12:41:00 PM, Blogger www.ifoods.tv said...

Hi There

I just stumbled upon your blog and think it is an excellent read for foodies and especially like the photos and design of the blog.I started off as a blogger myself and realise the importance of a good clean design like you have here. I have now bookmarked it for myself to read and have added you to our new list of "all the food blogs in the world" on www.ifoods.tv which we have been compiling for the last month! Hopefully it will send you some traffic in the long run. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on food so keep up the good work and talk soon. Cheers

 
At 9/27/2008 04:58:00 AM, Blogger Syed Mohsin Naqvi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7/25/2016 11:34:00 PM, Blogger xjd7410@gmail.com said...

louis vuitton handbags
adidas superstar
adidas wings
oakley vault
michael kors outlet
nike huarache
fitflop sandals
polo outlet
oakley sunglasses
michael kors outlet clearance
coach outlet store online clearances
concord 11
cheap jordans
adidas boost
true religion outlet
coach outlet online
nike outlet
jordan retro 13
true religion jeans
gucci handbags
coach outlet
cheap toms
air jordan 8
beats by dr dre
copy watches
replica watches
burberry handbags
coach outlet clearance
christian louboutin sale
chenyingying2016726

 

Post a Comment

<< Home