.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fruit Blog Header.jpg
APPLES - BRAMBLES - CITRUS - GRAPES - NUTS - PAWPAWS - PEARS - PERSIMMONS - STONE FRUITS - STRAWBERRIES - FORUM

Cherimoya
My cherimoya, shortly before it became smoothie fodder.

Archive of past images




AppleBorovinka


Chinquapin

Recent Cultivar Releases
Pomegranate

Current Work in Pomology

StrawbParkerEarle


QuinceBourgeat


Atom Feed

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

December 29, 2005

Fruit-eaters are smarter. (On a species basis, anyhow)

Still on vacation, but I thought I'd pass along this link (via Matthew Shugart's Fruits & Votes):

Eating Fruit is a Mentally Taxing Activity (From the premium version of The Economist, via the likely copyright abuse of Brad DeLong).

Shugart muses that:
"...if one of the reasons eating fruit is 'mentally taxing' is that 'fruiting trees are patchily distributed in both space and time,' then clearly having an orchard is a sign of higher intelligence. Right?"
I would take that one step further...if eating fruit is a sign of intelligence, and growing fruit is a sign of higher intelligence, then breeding fruit must indicate the very pinnacle of intelligence. At least I'd like to think so.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 12/29/2005 07:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't argue with that logic!

 
At 12/29/2005 07:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, thanks for the link in this post, although it is actually an auto-link!

 
At 12/30/2005 11:03:00 PM, Blogger Evil Fruit Lord said...

Oops...I've fixed it now.

What's weird is that I didn't put in the wrong address...I just put no address at all. Does that always link back to the current page? I've been dealing with HTML for roughly a decade and I haven't noticed that before?

 
At 1/05/2006 06:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for fixing it. I am not sure about how the auto-link might have been developed.

For the record, if you just want to keep up with my fruit posts and avoid those on politics, baseball, and beer (though, come to think of it, why would anyone want to avoid politics, baseball, and beer posts?), you can use the subdomain URL:

http://fruits.fruitsandvotes.com

I am really glad I found this blog. I did a Google search on "fruit blog" and--surprise!--this came right up. So did mine, but very few others. I list some of the others (albeit with a liberal interpretation of "fruit blog" as a category) in my cross pollination list on my right sidebar.

 
At 1/06/2006 01:04:00 AM, Blogger Evil Fruit Lord said...

Glad you like the blog. I haven't had time to do anything big in a while, but I've been trying to do regular updates to keep myself in the habit, otherwise it gets forgotten (if you look back through the archives there are a few empty months). I'm open to suggestions if there's anything you'd like to see more of, though I can't promise when I'll get to anything.

I figured with a name like "The Fruit Blog" I'd pick up a number of hits through Google just like that (that was part of the motivation behind the name, the other part being a complete lack of creativity at the critical moment).

Thanks for linking here, by the way. When I feel ambitious enough to wade into the template HTML I'll add yours as well.

Just to be clear, I don't avoid politics in general, I just avoid them here. I probably should avoid them in general, because they cause me no end of problems, but I keep getting sucked into it. But I've been faithfully keeping up with the politics side of your site, too. We seem to have similar views on most things (at least the things I have views on...for example I have no thoughts whatsoever on Bolivia's MMP program, though I could probably acquire some readily enough).

 
At 10/09/2015 07:09:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

2015-10-10 zhengjx
Ralph Lauren UK Sale Polo Shirts
ugg boots
Up To 70% Off Air Retro Jordan 8s
coach factory outlet
Cheap Toms Shoes Outlet Sale Clearance
Louis Vuitton Handbags Factory Outlet
Michael Kors Outlet USA Store
Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet Online
Air Jordan 4 Retro Free Shipping
coach outlet online
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton
Official Cheap Michael Kors Handbags Outlet
New Jordans Cheap For Sale
ralph lauren uk
tory burch outlet
ugg boots
ray-ban sunglasses
Michael Kors Outlet Stores Online
ugg boots
louis vuitton outlet
ugg boots
louis vuitton outlet
canada goose jackets
michael kors outlet
cheap uggs sale
toms shoes
canada goose jackets
uggs outlet
michael kors outlet

 
At 1/07/2016 09:32:00 PM, Blogger alicetaylor said...

Thanks for sharing the information. It is very useful for my future. keep sharing
monkey go happy | monkey go happy 2 | learn to fly | learn to fly 3 | pacman |  pacman game | mahjong |  mahjong games | cat mario 4 | cat mario | happy wheels 2 | happy wheels game

 

Post a Comment

<< Home