.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fruit Blog Header.jpg
APPLES - BRAMBLES - CITRUS - GRAPES - NUTS - PAWPAWS - PEARS - PERSIMMONS - STONE FRUITS - STRAWBERRIES - FORUM

Cherimoya
My cherimoya, shortly before it became smoothie fodder.

Archive of past images




AppleBorovinka


Chinquapin

Recent Cultivar Releases
Pomegranate

Current Work in Pomology

StrawbParkerEarle


QuinceBourgeat


Atom Feed

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

December 9, 2005

Another couple of links...

I know I haven't written a full article in a while, but I'm in the home stretch of my last class ever at the moment, and I have better things to do, so you'll have to deal with just getting these selected links posted periodically. I've got a pair of them today, both bilingual.

First is a great little site on gooseberries. Hardly any Americans eat gooseberries these days, though they remain quite popular in the U.K. and Northern Europe. I'm not sure if Americans lost their taste for gooseberries and the related currants when there was mass eradication of Ribes to control White Pine Blister Rust, or if we never liked them much. Certainly they lack the bland sweetness that currently characterizes many Americans' tastes in fruit. Anyway, the sites in Dutch, too, if that's your thing (though I have yet to meet any one Dutch who didn't have near-perfect English). The same site has a little info on black currants and sweetberry honeysuckle, but the gooseberries are the real strength.

The other site I want to point out is a nice all-around fruit site in both French and English: Pomologie.com. If I get the time, I'll be adding it to the sidebar today. It's got a wide range of info on modern and heirloom cultivars, culture and nutrition, and quite a bit scanned from old fruit texts. I was pleased to see they even have a scanned copy of the strawberry chapter from one of my favorite old fruit books, the 1867 edition of Andrew Fuller's The Small Fruit Culturist. The web design is a little crazy, but easily worth wading through.

6 Comments:

At 12/28/2005 03:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are quite right. Americans, generally, do not know what gooseberries are (even in northern Minnesota, where there is a famous waterfall named Gooseberry Falls). And the name would hardly be helpful for any marketing campaign to get the fruit better known here today.

Whenever my wife and I go to Europe in season, we enjoy the gooseberries, which are quite readily available in markets there.

One also sees them in practically every fruit garden plot on the outskirts of European cities.

 
At 12/29/2005 11:45:00 AM, Blogger Evil Fruit Lord said...

Any thoughts on why it is we Americans don't eat gooseberries, Matthew?

By the way, I really like your site, Fruits & Votes. I found it a while ago, but I hesitated to link, because I'm really trying hard to keep my site politics-free (because it's work enough to keep from fighting with the people I actually see every day about politics). But I guess I just did link to it.

For the record, by the way, The Fruit Blog remains a strictly non-partisan affair.

 
At 7/22/2017 02:29:00 PM, Anonymous Check Cashing San-diego said...

This is something that is occurring less. It appears that there has been a principal move in how banks and building social orders are respected nowadays.

 
At 7/23/2017 11:25:00 PM, Anonymous Cash Advance said...

As such, the greater part of the general population confront money related hardship which is reflected in their credit profile. This makes jump in getting credits.

 
At 7/26/2017 12:50:00 PM, Anonymous check cashing said...

Nonetheless, you will have needed to consent to these expenses in the absolute starting point when you took out your payday advance.

 
At 7/27/2017 08:12:00 AM, Anonymous Car Title Loans said...

In various rehabilitative or incapacitating conditions, non-intrusive treatment is vital to enable a patient to return to ordinary life. Once that happens, they can return to the matter of day by day life and winning a living.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home