.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fruit Blog Header.jpg
APPLES - BRAMBLES - CITRUS - GRAPES - NUTS - PAWPAWS - PEARS - PERSIMMONS - STONE FRUITS - STRAWBERRIES - FORUM

Cherimoya
My cherimoya, shortly before it became smoothie fodder.

Archive of past images




AppleBorovinka


Chinquapin

Recent Cultivar Releases
Pomegranate

Current Work in Pomology

StrawbParkerEarle


QuinceBourgeat


Atom Feed

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

May 7, 2006

Haskap, aka blue honeysuckle

I've been thinking of writing something up about Lonicera caerulea, or blue honeysuckle, for some time now, but having run across this article by Maxine Thompson over at the Home Orchard Society website, it seems a lot easier to just link to it.

"Haskap", apparently is the name used for L. caerulea by the Ainu of Hokkaido, in northern Japan. Apparently some one's decided to stick with this name to differentiate it from the Russian types which are already being marketed as "honeyberries". It's all just blue honeysuckle to me.

I've heard varying reports on the quality of this stuff, ranging from "wonderful!" to "not worth growing". I've seen the plants a few times (blue honeysuckle, not Haskap per se), but never with ripe fruit, so I can't vouch for it myself. Dr. Thompson and collaborators have begun an actual breeding program, which is exciting...I'm always pleased to see a new fruit breeding program spring into existence, particularly in this country.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 5/14/2006 04:28:00 AM, Blogger Sylvana said...

I was thinking of buying this plant from Jung. I LOVE blueberries and I really like the look of honeysuckle leaves, so I thought this would be perfect. I was having trouble finding additional information on it though, so I used Google, of course, and found your blog. After reading that article, I think I will wait to see if a sweeter variety can be bred.

 
At 7/01/2007 06:27:00 PM, Blogger Clayton said...

Check out www.haskap.ca for info on the Canadaian production potential

Clayton

 
At 12/11/2011 11:22:00 AM, Blogger Google said...

Upon completion of basic military training, Flowers received a direct to duty assignment as a supply warehouseman at Grand Forks Air Force Base, N.D.
After spending two years at Grand Forks AFB, Flowers was retrained into air transportation and received one of his most difficult assignments of his career -- casualty collection at Da Nang Air Base, Vietnam, in 1968.

In Vietnam, Flowers' primary mission was to haul wounded and deceased soldiers out of the jungle at night.

Upon completion of his tour in Vietnam, Flowers arrived at Norton AFB, Calif., where he met his wife. The two had only been married for two weeks when she received orders to Clark Air Base, Philippines; after six months of separation, he received a joint spouse assignment.
oc cosmetic dentistSexy Lingerie

 
At 4/19/2017 10:40:00 PM, Blogger قمم التميز said...

شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
شركة جلي الرخام بالرياض
شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض
شركة تنظيف بيارات بالرياض
شركة شفط بيارات بالرياض

 

Post a Comment

<< Home