.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fruit Blog Header.jpg
APPLES - BRAMBLES - CITRUS - GRAPES - NUTS - PAWPAWS - PEARS - PERSIMMONS - STONE FRUITS - STRAWBERRIES - FORUM

Cherimoya
My cherimoya, shortly before it became smoothie fodder.

Archive of past images




AppleBorovinka


Chinquapin

Recent Cultivar Releases
Pomegranate

Current Work in Pomology

StrawbParkerEarle


QuinceBourgeat


Atom Feed

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

February 21, 2006

Low-Cal Apples?

I'm not sure what I think about the idea, but it's kind of cool they can do it. Apparently they've skewed the production of sugars towards sorbitol, which is lower in calories. I wonder what it tastes like? (If I had to bet I'd go with "kind of bad").

Apple Lite (via FreshBiotechnology)

I may be wrong, but I don't think consuming too much high-calorie fruit is a common dietary problem in this country. Still, it's pretty nifty that they figured out the metabolic pathways involved enough to perform manipulations like this.

Update: Lady Evil Fruit (who I trust on things involving the chemical components of fruit and veggies) points out that eating apples loaded with sorbitol would probably be good for some digestive distress. Fun.

(For example, check out the entry on sorbitol in the list of food additives here. I love Cooking For Engineers, although they don't often do fruit pieces. There was a nice pear one a while back, though.)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 2/22/2006 10:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorbitol is the stuff they put in toothpaste--it's sweet but lots of microorganisms can't metabolize it. I don't know if I'd want to eat a sorbitol apple, I think Lady Fruit Lord is right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home