.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fruit Blog Header.jpg
APPLES - BRAMBLES - CITRUS - GRAPES - NUTS - PAWPAWS - PEARS - PERSIMMONS - STONE FRUITS - STRAWBERRIES - FORUM

Cherimoya
My cherimoya, shortly before it became smoothie fodder.

Archive of past images




AppleBorovinka


Chinquapin

Recent Cultivar Releases
Pomegranate

Current Work in Pomology

StrawbParkerEarle


QuinceBourgeat


Atom Feed

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

January 25, 2006

Figs: An interesting (to me anyway) discovery...

I learned today that the "sycamore" of the bible is not in fact what I think of as a sycamore. That what I (and I'm guessing much of the world) thinks of as a sycamore are members of the genus Platanus (aka plane trees).

Apparently, the sycamore of the bible is Ficus sycomorus, the sycamore fig, which is related only linguistically (it's fortunate I can't type, because I'd have never found that link by Googling if I hadn't, because they misspell the name). As you may have noticed, it's the same genus as "real" figs (Ficus carica).

Anyway, I've got company this week, so I'd best go attend to them.

Sort of working on some genetics posts...am I correct in assuming that most people here can recall the dominant vs. recessive, two copies of each gene, Punnet square stuff from high school/college? Or should I start with the real basic stuff?

Update: The rest of that page is pretty interesting, too, and though it doesn't take too much cleverness to find the rest of it, I might as well link to the main page, too, because there's lots of good fig info:

Ray's Fig Page

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 1/25/2006 07:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bring on the genetics, O Evil Fruit Lord!

 
At 5/22/2021 08:46:00 AM, Anonymous Top 10 Transport Companies in Dubai said...

Here Follows the List of the Top 10 Logistics Companies in Dubai · 1. Noor Ahmed Transports LLC, 2. Trailer Rental Dubai, 3. Rent Pickup Dubai, 4. Mumtaz Hussain Technical Services LLC, 5. Mac World Logistics LLC, 6. Verks Global Logistics LLC, 7. Consolidated Shipping Services (CSS Group), 8. Emirates Logistics LLC, 9. National Association of Freight and Logistics (NAFL). 10. CEVA Logistics

 
At 6/02/2021 10:15:00 AM, Anonymous best fruit delivery service said...

Deliver best assortment of Farm Fresh Fruits & Dry Fruits products in online at wholesale prices from fruitoye.pk . We provide fast Open Box & Taste It Now Delivery at your door step. Best produce delivery services · Best produce box for saving money.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home