.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fruit Blog Header.jpg
APPLES - BRAMBLES - CITRUS - GRAPES - NUTS - PAWPAWS - PEARS - PERSIMMONS - STONE FRUITS - STRAWBERRIES - FORUM

Cherimoya
My cherimoya, shortly before it became smoothie fodder.

Archive of past images




AppleBorovinka


Chinquapin

Recent Cultivar Releases
Pomegranate

Current Work in Pomology

StrawbParkerEarle


QuinceBourgeat


Atom Feed

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

July 6, 2008

Two quick things, courtesy of the New York Times

The first is this article on foraging for wild fruits. Some of the best fruit in the world isn't cultivated at all, and frankly, some things that I'd be utterly unimpressed with if I tasted them on farm somehow taste far better when you find them in the wild. (Just make sure you know what you're eating...)

In the Garden—Foraging for Berries, the Special on Nature's Produce Aisle

(New York Times)

The second is the fact that there is a New York Times "Fruit" RSS feed. (There probably is for every conceivable keyword, but I just discovered this just now). See it here.

(In other news, I'm trying out the new Flock web browser, which provides some integrated blogging and social networking tools. That's where the cool image came from next to the link--I'm way too lazy to do that on my own. I'm going to play around with it for a few days. Hopefully it doesn't disrupt things too much. Let me know if you think my posts have somehow become weird and unreadable because of it.)
Blogged with the Flock Browser

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 7/09/2008 02:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that I'm in Florida, I don't feel as confident foraging, but this was one of my favorite times of year in NY, when all the wild berries were ripening. I feel like a hillbilly to say it, but I have a detailed mental map of all the good picking sites around Houghton (and some of the orchards where I scouted apples). It's so vivid, it must be directly connected to some primeval hunting-gathering brain loci.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home