.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fruit Blog Header.jpg
APPLES - BRAMBLES - CITRUS - GRAPES - NUTS - PAWPAWS - PEARS - PERSIMMONS - STONE FRUITS - STRAWBERRIES - FORUM

Cherimoya
My cherimoya, shortly before it became smoothie fodder.

Archive of past images




AppleBorovinka


Chinquapin

Recent Cultivar Releases
Pomegranate

Current Work in Pomology

StrawbParkerEarle


QuinceBourgeat


Atom Feed

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

October 10, 2008

Winter Banana

I just had my first 'Winter Banana' apple (and am about halfway through my second), from a local ranch just up the road from where I work. It's really good! I worried a little bit about an apple with "winter" in the name--I thought maybe it suggested an apple selected for its storage potential, not flavor. But the concern was unwarranted. The flesh was fine-grained and crisp but gave easily. The flavor was sweet and mild, and the mild aroma, while not to me particularly reminiscent of banana, was unusual and distinct, though not intrusive.

Plus, it's a beautiful apple. Medium-size, glossy, green with a striking red blush covering maybe a third of the surface. Apparently it was once a fruit-basket favorite because of its good looks. I bought three of them, so I've saved one and maybe I'll take a picture of it for you.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 10/27/2008 02:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i got to try a winter banana over the weekend, and liked it. not too mealy, not too tart. they really do bruise easily, though.

 
At 11/06/2008 11:20:00 PM, Blogger reetajenet said...

A winter banana tree can bring a scent of the tropics to any garden and provide a nice alternative to ordinary fruits trees such as apples and pears. Even a garden subjected to frost during the winter season can have banana trees, but they will naturally only grow and produce fruit during the summer. During the cold season, your winter banana tree will turn dormant to protect itself from the harsh temperatures.
------------------------
Rosi


Guaranteed ROI

 
At 12/16/2008 02:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you have a photo of this fruit?

thanks, jenny
www.antioxidant-fruits.com

 
At 12/29/2008 03:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you like Winter Banana, try a Hawaii, if you can find it. Hawaii is a newer cultivar with Winter Banana somewhere in it's background.

Hawaii is one of the half dozen sweet apples that became my favorites when tested at the OARDC. (Ohio Agriculture Research & Development Center). It is now one of the apple trees in my home orchard, now that I'm retired.

I always keep a few of them out of the fridge because the "tuti fruiti" aftertaste/aroma is stronger at room temperature.

 
At 2/05/2010 02:57:00 AM, Anonymous Chris said...

Picked this apple for the fist time this fall working at an orchard in New Hampshire. It can have really good flavor if picked at the right time. Some have told me the flavor kind of reminds them of the old candy called runts. They seem to commonly be used as pollinators in larger orchards. I have a picture of a tree on my blog appleharvester.blogspot.com. A great apple!

 
At 1/16/2012 07:31:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha. And I am going to plant a tree for me right now. Just looking for some info.

 
At 3/16/2018 02:07:00 AM, Blogger chenlili said...

prada handbags
pandora jewelry
michaelkors outlet online
cheap ray bans
jordan shoes
asics running shoes
uggs outlet
nike lunarglide
cheap nhl jerseys
canada goose jackets
20183.16chenjinyan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home