.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fruit Blog Header.jpg
APPLES - BRAMBLES - CITRUS - GRAPES - NUTS - PAWPAWS - PEARS - PERSIMMONS - STONE FRUITS - STRAWBERRIES - FORUM

Cherimoya
My cherimoya, shortly before it became smoothie fodder.

Archive of past images




AppleBorovinka


Chinquapin

Recent Cultivar Releases
Pomegranate

Current Work in Pomology

StrawbParkerEarle


QuinceBourgeat


Atom Feed

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

October 5, 2008

Now maybe we know why they were keeping the name a secret...

Maybe it's because it's kind of stupid: The new University of Minnesota apple release is named 'SweeTango'.

An Apple Is Born (Epicurious)

Plus: We've entered a new age! YouTube trailers for fruit cultivars!
SweeTango - A Sneak Preview (YouTube)


(Much thanks to the anonymous commenter who noted this on the post below...I thought it deserved more exposure).

All I can say is I hope the apple is better than the name. It's got an encouraging pedigree at least—Honeycrisp x Zestar.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 10/07/2008 02:45:00 PM, Blogger Brandon Hurr said...

That video's pretty cool actually. I kind of wish they would treat more horticulturally significant releases and news with a little more pizazz. Maybe then people will start thinking of us plant scientists as rock stars like we should be. Or, maybe not.

I do wonder what chemical is responsible for the "spicy" note that the breeder mentions in the video. I bet Randy Beaudry or his student Sobuko-san would know. I'm guessing some sort of terpene-alcohol like linalool.

All I know is that it's fall and new apples are coming into stores and that so far they are really good... even in Florida.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home