.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fruit Blog Header.jpg
APPLES - BRAMBLES - CITRUS - GRAPES - NUTS - PAWPAWS - PEARS - PERSIMMONS - STONE FRUITS - STRAWBERRIES - FORUM

Cherimoya
My cherimoya, shortly before it became smoothie fodder.

Archive of past images




AppleBorovinka


Chinquapin

Recent Cultivar Releases
Pomegranate

Current Work in Pomology

StrawbParkerEarle


QuinceBourgeat


Atom Feed

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

September 8, 2008

Help out [fruit] businesses in the developing world

I found Kiva a while back, and thought it seemed like a good idea, but never got around to loaning anything (I won't bother to explain how it works...check out their site if you're interested). Tonight I sort of rediscovered it, and also found that they now have a lending "teams" feature.

There are often business that involve growing or selling fruit, and although lots and lots of businesses on there are worthy causes, I have a special place in my heart for these. In addition, I truly think that fruit can be a means of improving not only one's prosperity (which I would hope in such cases it does) but also one's health and quality of life.

Lack of capital for startup or expansion can be a major hurdle to any business--and even a small loan is normally unattainable to much of the world's population.

So, anyway, I've started a "Fruit Blog Lenders" team on Kiva, and would invite anyone who's interested to join (you won't be tied into lending through the team, and I certainly will not hold any one who does join to lending only to fruit business, even myself--consider it a general theme, but I'm more concerned about helping out in general than promoting fruit in specific.) Even if you don't want to join our team (I know, I know, you're embarrassed to be seen with me) please considering lending a little something through Kiva. Think of it as charity for cheap people. Or you can think of it as an easy way to change lives. (Whichever works for you).

Unfortunately (well, fortunately in that it represents a success, unfortunate because it keeps me from doing anything) there are no unfunded loans at the minute. Pretty exciting, really, because in the past there have been dozens and dozens. But keep looking, because I'm sure there'll be more soon.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9/16/2008 09:05:00 AM, Blogger Jeremy said...

I've been lending on Kiva for a while -- thought I do think the operation is borked in many ways. And I'm disapopointed that there really isn't much under agriculture most of the time. But I'd be happy to join your group, if you'll have me.

 
At 9/20/2008 12:24:00 AM, Blogger Evil Fruit Lord said...

What is the borkedness of which you speak?

At one point there was a fair amount of ag on it, though the vast majority was animal. Now there's not much of anything--seems like loans get funded as soon as they go up.

But yes, I'd be happy to have you on the team!

 
At 9/20/2008 05:09:00 AM, Blogger Jeremy said...

I just don't think the site works all that well. It's obvious that many people like it just fine, but I don't.

No biggie.

Meanwhile, I'll wait for something I want to lend to.

 
At 9/24/2008 04:08:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fruits are very useful for the development of the world because all fruits are grown naturally. Majority of the countries import and export fruits and earn a lot of profit.
ww


Outsourcing Solution in BPO

 

Post a Comment

<< Home