.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fruit Blog Header.jpg
APPLES - BRAMBLES - CITRUS - GRAPES - NUTS - PAWPAWS - PEARS - PERSIMMONS - STONE FRUITS - STRAWBERRIES - FORUM

Cherimoya
My cherimoya, shortly before it became smoothie fodder.

Archive of past images




AppleBorovinka


Chinquapin

Recent Cultivar Releases
Pomegranate

Current Work in Pomology

StrawbParkerEarle


QuinceBourgeat


Atom Feed

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

May 28, 2008

Beach Plums

It says a little bit about how fruit-centric my mindset is that I think of Richard Uva as "The Beach Plum Guy", rather as "Weeds of the Northeast Guy", considering that that book, which from what I've heard was a M.S. thesis project, is one of the very best weed guides for the region, a major scientific accomplishment, and, realistically, probably a much larger contribution to horticulture than anything involving beach plums will ever be.

I had a poster near Mr. Uva at an ASHS meeting once long ago--in fact that's how I learned there was such a thing as a beach plum, having managed to miss it entirely in several trips to Cape Cod.

Anyway, here's a link to a fairly good size overview on beach plums from Mr. Beach Plum himself:

Taming the Wild Beach Plum (Arnoldia reprint, via Cornell) PDF

Update: Oops...I mean Dr. Beach Plum. Looks like he acquired a Ph.D. since I met him. (Congratulations, Richard!)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home