.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fruit Blog Header.jpg
APPLES - BRAMBLES - CITRUS - GRAPES - NUTS - PAWPAWS - PEARS - PERSIMMONS - STONE FRUITS - STRAWBERRIES - FORUM

Cherimoya
My cherimoya, shortly before it became smoothie fodder.

Archive of past images




AppleBorovinka


Chinquapin

Recent Cultivar Releases
Pomegranate

Current Work in Pomology

StrawbParkerEarle


QuinceBourgeat


Atom Feed

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

August 5, 2008

Urban pomology takes root

I don't think many people really appreciate how much in the way of fruit you can fit in a small backyard or even a patio or rooftop. I'm guilty of it too...I spend a fair amount of time bemoaning not having room for vast orchards or vineyards, and fantasizing about owning acres. But the fact is, a relatively small yard can provided a phenomenal amount of fruit for a few people, and even if you don't have a yard, you can do remarkably well with pots, provided you have some sun and a place to park them (some things will even do well indoors with a sunny window, including pomegranate, figs, and some citrus, although they are rarely as productive as they would be outdoors). In our old house, I had dozens of strawberry varieties (including a few small seedling populations), some blackberries, a Chinotto orange, and an incredibly productive lemon tree, all in pots on either the patio or the front sidewalk.

Backyards, Beware: An Orchard Wants Your Spot (New York Times)
Blogged with the Flock Browser

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 8/08/2008 12:41:00 PM, Blogger Brandon Hurr said...

I have a nectarine in a 25 gallon pot and it's huge. I'm worried that it's far out grown it's pot and is essentially hydroponic at this point. Which means I'll need to feed it better than I do.

We tried to grow vegetables in our front "yard." (Yard = parking spot) I had a hard time getting tomatoes that were sweet, because they would all split on me, then came the white fly :(

I think I need more practice.

 
At 8/08/2008 01:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very true. I have 8.5 acres, but about two thirds of my 120 or so fruit varieties are in a space that is about 50 x 50 feet.

 
At 8/22/2017 10:34:00 PM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

michael kors handbags
ugg boots
armani exchange
cheap ugg boots
ugg boots
saics running shoes
ugg outlet
michael kors outlet
coach outlet
coach factory outlet

 
At 6/27/2018 11:15:00 PM, Blogger jeje said...

moncler online outlet
nike blazer
kate spade handbags
hermes belts
salomon
supreme clothing
nike outlet
moncler
jordan 8
polo ralph lauren

 
At 6/08/2023 04:03:00 AM, Anonymous Sweet Tart Recipes said...

Hi nice reading yyour blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home