.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fruit Blog Header.jpg
APPLES - BRAMBLES - CITRUS - GRAPES - NUTS - PAWPAWS - PEARS - PERSIMMONS - STONE FRUITS - STRAWBERRIES - FORUM

Cherimoya
My cherimoya, shortly before it became smoothie fodder.

Archive of past images




AppleBorovinka


Chinquapin

Recent Cultivar Releases
Pomegranate

Current Work in Pomology

StrawbParkerEarle


QuinceBourgeat


Atom Feed

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

July 30, 2005

Back from Vegas.

Well, we're back.

Vegas was great. Well, the meeting was great. Vegas was mostly just hot. Really, really hot. They were setting record highs (in the 116-117 degree range) while we were there, so walking outside was roughly equivalent to climbing into a pizza oven. Unfortunately the conference hotel was the Riviera, so we had to go outside to escape it's general crappiness.

Still, despite all that we managed to have a great time. One thing I always like about national meetings is the chance to see lots of former co-workers and fellow grad students from the places I used to work/study at. Our little strawberry cabal (most of us, anyway) managed a meeting, heading out to an expensive but very good dinner at Caesar's Palace. It's nice to get a bunch of us in one place...it's hard to coordinate the efforts of a group when you only communicate as individuals.

I gave a talk, which I thought went quite well, and presented a poster, which resulted in meeting some new people. I think we have a chance at setting up some exciting collaborations. Just need to make sure I don't overcommit...

Lots of good talks and posters, and I only managed to get to a subset of them. There was an entire afternoon workshop (sponsored, I think, by the American Pomological Society) on the fruits of the ancient Mediterranean, which included talks on such things as dates, figs, and pomegranates. This fired up my forgotten passion for pomegranates, but they haven't had them in the local supermarkets since I got back (I need to move to some place with more exotic fruit available...every time I get it in my head I want something even semi-unusual, I can't find it). They've now got a vaccuum device which can suck all the seeds out straight into a jar without even having to cut open the fruit...I thought that was pretty nifty.

Seemed like there was quite an emphasis this year on germplasm exploration (or maybe those were just the talks I was attending). Jules Janick, who appears to still be going strong (he's been a professor at Purdue since 1951 or so!) talked about germplasm exploration in the ancient world, and other speakers continued along the timeline through the early USDA plant explorers, people like Frank Meyers, David Fairchild, and F. Wilson Popenoe, and then on to the modern plant explorers of the National Plant Germplasm System. I had the opportunity to meet Kim Hummer, from the germplasm repository in Corvallis, Oregon. Along with a handful of other scientists, she recently managed to collect specimens of Fragaria iturupensis, the only Eurasian octoploid strawberry species known, which grows only in remote locations on Iturup Island (conveniently located in the Kuril Islands between Hokkaido and the Kamchatka Penninsula). Maybe not as exciting for some as it is for me, but for those of us involved in the breeding of strawberries, a fresh source of genetic material outside of our usual range is plenty exciting (she's going to be sending us seeds soon!).

Anyway, now I'm back and simultaneously trying to get caught up on the stuff that was neglected while I was in Vegas AND wrap up things that are going to be neglected while I'm in Costa Rica. It's pretty much an impossible task, and mostly I'm not getting anything done.

I'd still welcome any suggestions on local fruits to try while in Costa Rica! (I'd also welcome just general Costa Rica suggestions.)

6 Comments:

At 7/30/2005 06:27:00 PM, Blogger Suebob said...

Hey EFL, welcome back. Happy Birthday, too!

Re: Strawberries. I didn't know you were an expert. There is a local place, Harry's Berries, that sells the Gaviota and Seascape varieties for $4 per basket.

The going price around here is usually more like $6 per half flat at Farmer's Markets.

Do you know anything about those 2 varieties? Are they terribly difficult to grow? They sure are delish, but I can't justify the cost very often.

 
At 7/31/2005 12:08:00 PM, Blogger Evil Fruit Lord said...

I suppose I'm an expert on strawberries (at this stage I've still worked longer on both grapes and blackberries, but strawberries pay the bills now).

I don't know a ton about Gaviota and Seascape, since they aren't grown around here, but from what I know their main "flaw" from a commercial standpoint is that they trade shippability for taste, so many of the big growers won't mess with them.

I don't think either is terribly difficult to grow...most of the problems are in post-harvest handling. Both are pretty disease-resistant and high yielding, so they've still got a lot going for them.

One of the former industry standards here in florida, Sweet Charlie had similar problems, and is now generally out of the picture, but it's probably the sweetest strawberry I've ever tasted.

If you're looking at growing your own, in addition to Seascape and Gaviota (which probably would do very well in a couple of pots on a patio or in a backyard garden), you might want to try some of the old standards of the southern strawberry industry, things like 'Klondike', and 'Florida 90', or the old California cultivar 'Sequoia'. They aren't very easy to track down these days, but they're some of the best tasting. (They were selling 'Sequoia a few months ago in Loew's garden center, to my surprise!).

 
At 8/04/2005 10:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pineapple, Papaya, Kiwano, blah, blah, blah. The best thing in Costa Rica is Rambutan! I would go back for the rambutans alone. You can find street vendors selling bags of them (very cheap, too) on the outskirts of the rain and cloud forests.

 
At 8/04/2005 12:18:00 PM, Blogger Evil Fruit Lord said...

Thanks for the recommendations. Rambutans are definitely on the list! I'll report back on all my fruit finds in two weeks.

 
At 2/05/2017 11:57:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It is composed, "By their organic products, you will know them." Yes I will demonstrate to you a portion of the "natural products" to pay special mind to at whatever point you require the administrations of a home loan moneylender so you can settle on an educated decision from among the some purported contract banks swarming you to stand out enough to be noticed. cash advance

 
At 3/08/2017 05:30:00 AM, Blogger marko said...

This encourage encourages individuals to utilize the assets they would somehow or another spend on a down exchange anyway they see fit - whether it be intended for remodels, to begin an investment account or just to help cover each day costs. auto title loans chicago

 

Post a Comment

<< Home